what's gotten india?

Sunday, November 06, 2005

everyday things

I am sitting in a very smokey internet cafe right now, it is even hard to see the screen. It has taken KC and I a couple of days to find a place to e-mail. The definition of internet cafe has changed for us, you think that it should be a nice quiet place while you drink your coffee and e-mail your friends. Wrong, what we have come across are very dark, somewhat spooky, dance music blaring and very smokey rooms with a few computers and sigh...no coffee.
Everyday we are reminded how little things, like taking out the garbage, can be a chore if you don't understand the language or culture. There are so many mysteries when having a language barriers, for example we went out for pizza tonight and I don't know what I ordered but when it arrived it was like an omelet on a slice of pizza....and they eat ketchup with their pizza! Also, grocery shopping can be a challenge, I thought that it would be easy...but I bought pepper and it turned out to be lemon pepper....and then I bought salt and it turned out to be salt for softening meat. (we were wondering why all our food tasted funny)
I know that it will get easier with time and then we will laugh at our struggles. Actually, right now we are working on painting our appartment, but we really don't know how to go about this. Our bedroom had alot of wallpaper on the walls, and it was very childish....so we ripped it all off to expose plaster walls. So, I guess that next step is getting some paint...but the problem is that we don't even know the word for paint. Okay, I think that we will survive and we have meet some very helpful people here.

2 Comments:

  • At 5:43 PM , Blogger Terry, Jill, Hazel, Luna and Quin said...

    Hey guys,
    Sounds like your experiences could be taken directly off of our blog site. We've been in the Dominican Republic for four months now and have been meaning to paint right from the beginning. But we've learned to make small steps. So, after 4 months we have upgraded from sheets stuck into our windows to actual homemade curtains hanging on string tied around screws. We got tired of our neighbours staring up into our windows all the time. Terry went to introduce himself to our neighbour one day and he nodded and pointed up to our bedroom window. I guess they know who we are. I'm hoping to get iron rods to use as curtain rods and then I'm done. Painting is the next big step. Good luck with that. I've also realized that if I go into a store to get something but I can't see it and don't know how to ask for it, I probably didn't need it that much in the first place.
    Enjoy your new chaotic life.

     
  • At 8:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ahhh you foreigners!! Your blogs remind me of my immigration to the United States... or maybe not. But they do speak some strange language here at times!! :) (And those Slurpees are definately not the same)
    Thanks for setting this up. It is a great way to let all of us (boring folk who are NOT travelling!) in on your lives. I will try to get in touch with some people I know in Poland for you.
    Live these months up to the full- but don't do anything I wouldn't be doing there with you!! Oh- and eat some potatoes for me.
    Love you both...
    Kerri (and Dan and Jacob)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home